Monday, April 26, 2010

My girlfriends engine started knocking really loud today. Been burning alot of oil. What is likely problem?

Burning 2 quarts of oil a week or more. Slight leak outside of engine but none in the antifreeze. I figured it is probably the piston rings. Car is a 91' Chevy Lumina. V6. It has been run low on oil many times. Knocking sounds like it's in just one cylinder near passengers side.My girlfriends engine started knocking really loud today. Been burning alot of oil. What is likely problem?
It is dying from abuse. This is what happens when you do not care for a vehicle properly.My girlfriends engine started knocking really loud today. Been burning alot of oil. What is likely problem?
Once it's knocking, damage has already been done.





It's likely the piston rings, but too hard to tell from just guessing.





With it knocking, it sounds like it's about time for a new engine or car soon. I wouldn't go through the trouble of simply repairing the burning oil issue and having to get a new engine later.





Matt
this sounds like to me that this is not rings it sounds more like rod bearings or main bearings if this had been taken care of before it started knocking then maybe you would have had a chance to fix it but at this point i would think about finding another car before this one leaves you stranded good luck!!
Buddy the bad news is this the engine will eventually seize up because what you are describing is that dreaded sound known as rod knock.This is what always happens when us car owners don't bother to take care of our cars.Looks like a new or rebuilt engine is coming up for your girl friend,and no it is not going away it is only going to get a lot worse.You have to replace the entire engine,this is the best I can tell you about now.Finally try searching e bay for engines that are for sale look in the cars sections/or automotive sections.GOOD LUCK
the burning oil could be bad rings,valve seals.the Knocking is usualy Rod berrings were they are basicly mashed flat so the rod ';moves'; around on the crankshaft makeing the Knocking sound which will end up bening major trouble for you the leak could be a Head Gasket.or front,Rear main seals or the oil preasure sending unit..but if its burning oil that fast your rings could be completely shot.pull a spark plug or 2 and see if there black which im sure they are.sounds like its on its last legs.good luck
2 quarts of oil a week! Is she charging the county for mosquito fogging?





Oil use is most probably rings or valve stem seals, letting the oil go through into the combustion chambers. I wonder if there is also a leak that you aren't noticing, perhaps rear seal.





Knocking won't be rings, but wrist pins or bearings, most likely. In any case, consider a long block engine exchange and teaching the dummy how to check the oil level.
No oil more than once means the engine will die. It will either stop hard with many broken pieces, or it begins to make bad metal noises that get progressively louder. Every car owner needs to check the oil in a car weekly. One big rock bouncing on the road can damage your engine oil pan and a leak can develop. I'd suggest driving it to the nearest scrap dealer and get your $100. At this age it will be too expensive to fix. Used engine will cost at least $400 and probably $800 to install. You may be able to drive it for a few hundred miles more, but it could stop hard in the middle of a busy road, endangering her life. Deal with it today!
De Ja Vu.





I had a 89 chevy blazer... thing burned oil like i change underwear... sucked! and when I'd drive down the freeway, there would be a tail of light smoke behind me... one day coming home from work I was coming over a hill, and I heard a loud noise (a bang)... luckily I was at the top of the hill when i happened... I put it in nuetral and rolled down the hill (engine was still on and the bang turned into a knockin noise) I rolled into a gas station... i had $4 on me and bought 1 qt of oil... this guy heard me from two blocks away witht he knockin noise and he was nice enough to buy two more for me... long story short, I blew a piston rod... made sense... faster i would go, the faster the knockin noise... once I got home and turned it off, it never worked after that...I ended up donating the vehicle to the Polly Klass foundation; they picked it up for free and gave me a tax deduction.





good luck.
sounds like the motor, my monte carlo did that, she probably been driving it with out any oil in it.
could be a wrist pin or a piston , Also a spun crank bearing. Anyway you look ay it it's not good. Tough lesson learned about keeping the fluids full

No comments:

Post a Comment